If you’re a South African, I’m sure you’re familiar with the Local is Lekker phrase. It celebrates and promotes everything proudly South African. This phrase was the inspiration for a new series on my blog – Local Travel is Lekker. I’m an avid supporter of local South African travel and feel extremely blessed to live in this beautiful country. Therefore I’ve decided to feature like-minded bloggers and travellers who share my Local Travel is Lekker sentiment and hopefully this series will inspire our South African citizens to get out there and explore this stunning country.
This week’s featured bloggers are Nicole and TC from Meletso.
1) What do you love most about South Africa?
South Africa is one of the most colourful countries in the world, from our flag to our people to nature. All the beauty both natural and man-made, there is also so much to do in South Africa from hiking to witnessing the big five (even better whilst hot air ballooning), visiting our museums and we also are home to 8 World Heritage Sights not to mention the 7th world wonder Table Mountain. Our country has such a diverse landscape and a richer heritage. I love the beautiful sunrises and sunsets that many tend to enjoy over a glass of our incredible wine and cuisine.
2) What is your first local travel memory?
The memory that first comes to mind is when I was 8 years old; I went on holiday with my family in Cape Town. I recall the cold water from the ocean and that I never wanted to swim.
3) What’s your favourite place to visit in your hometown?
I have been living in Pretoria for over 8 years now, but I grew up in Secunda in Mpumalanga. My favourite place to visit in Pretoria is the Pretoria National Botanical Garden, my fiancé and I had our first date there and he also proposed to me at the waterfall. We love having picnics there, watching the bird life whilst enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. There are also a number of events that take place at the gardens throughout the year.
4) What’s on your South African travel bucket list?
I have yet to have the opportunity to visit a wine farm in the Western Cape. I hope to visit one this year when I holiday in Cape Town in November.
5) What are your top tips for planning a local getaway?
- Always make a list of what you would like to do or see on your holiday.
- Research your accommodation, check TripAdvisor for reviews.
- Check toll gate prices before your journey if you are driving to your destination.
- Pack some snacks, I always have a peanuts and raisins, a cereal bar and a bottle of water with me when I travel, this helps you from over-indulging impulsively and keeps you away from unhealthy petrol station and airplane snacks while you save some money!
- Look out for the long weekends when planning a getaway. I only had to take a day’s leave for a recent 5 day mini vacay.
6) Where can we follow your blog?
How Do I Jump on the Local Travel is Lekker taxi?
That’s a wrap on this week’s Local Travel is Lekker blogger feature. Be sure to stop by every week to be inspired by another local traveller and awaken your own wanderlust for local South African travel. Join the conversation on social media with the Local Travel is Lekker hashtag. And if you’re interested in participating, get in touch with me!