If you’re a South African, I’m sure you’re familiar with the Local is Lekker phrase. It celebrates and promotes everything proudly South African. This phrase was the inspiration for a new series on my blog – Local Travel is Lekker. I’m an avid supporter of local South African travel and feel extremely blessed to live in this beautiful country. Therefore I’ve decided to feature like-minded bloggers and travellers who share my Local Travel is Lekker sentiment and hopefully this series will inspire our South African citizens to get out there and explore this exquisite country.
This week’s featured blogger is Monique Van Der Walt.
1) What do you love most about South Africa?
This is a tough one, but I’d have to say amount of diversity crammed into every nook and cranny of South Africa – nature, history, culture etc. And of course the roaming cows here in the hills of KZN.
2) What is your first local travel memory?
As far back as I remember in my childhood, we local family-holidayed annually at Carmel-by-the-Sea, near Victoria Bay in Western Cape. So many lekker memories! Tubing on the Keurbooms River, horse riding & tractor rides, nature walks to Lone Tree hill and summer days at the beach.
3) What’s your favourite place to visit in your hometown?
I was born in Hout Bay, Cape Town, but my hometown now is Bulwer, KwazuluNatal. It’s more like a village and it’s surrounded by almost untouched nature. So my favourite would be exploring the surrounds by car or by gumboots.
4) What’s on your South African travel bucket list?
Hot Air Ballooning in the Drakensberg, Photo Safari in KZN, Hartebeespoort Cableway & glamping somewhere in South Africa.
5) What are your top tips for planning a local getaway?
- Find food stalls & groceries outlets that sell local produce. Most often everything is fresh from the farming community of the area – worthy, delicious & lekker cost effective.
- Find another traveller, resident local blogger or social media influencer for more of an insider’s guide to the area.
6) Where can we follow your blog?
Find me on:
LinkedIn: Monique van der Walt
Facebook: Monique van der Walt
How Do I Jump on the Local Travel is Lekker taxi?
That’s a wrap on this week’s Local Travel is Lekker blogger feature. Be sure to stop by every week to be inspired by another local traveller and awaken your own wanderlust for local South African travel. Join the conversation on social media with the Local Travel is Lekker hashtag. And if you’re interested in participating, get in touch with me!