If you’re a South African, I’m sure you’re familiar with the Local is Lekker phrase. It celebrates and promotes everything South African. This phrase was the inspiration for a new series on my blog – Local Travel is Lekker. I’m an avid supporter of local South African travel and feel extremely blessed to live in this beautiful country. Therefore I’ve decided to feature like-minded bloggers and travellers who share my Local Travel is Lekker sentiment and hopefully this series will inspire our South African citizens to get out there and explore this exquisite country.
This week’s featured blogger is Savannah from The Purple Gypsy blog.
1) What do you love most about South Africa?
I love the diversity of our country; it adds a different dimension to the people and the atmosphere. Having such great diversity allows for a whole bunch of extra knowledge to be available at our fingertips.
2) What is your first local travel memory?
Spending the morning on the beach in Umhlanga, building sand castles and swimming in the sea.
3) What’s your favourite place to visit in your hometown?
My favourite place to visit in Johannesburg is the Cradle of Human Kind. It is such a beautiful place no matter which part you visit. From visiting the Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve to simply having a bite to eat at one of the exquisite restaurants, you are never disappointed.
4) What’s on your South African travel bucket list?
- Take a trip along the Garden Route
- Visit the Cango Caves, Western Cape
- Go on a road trip around South Africa
- Visit Robben Island in Cape Town
- Spend the night in a tree house camp in a game reserve.
5) What are your top tips for planning a local getaway?
- Do not over pack
- Take the weather into account before packing your bags
- Make a packing list
- Visit places that inspire or interest you.
6) Where can we follow your blog?
How Do I Jump on the Local Travel is Lekker taxi?
That concludes this week’s Local Travel is Lekker blogger feature. Be sure to stop by every week to be inspired by another local traveller and awaken your own wanderlust for local South African travel. Join the conversation on social media with the Local Travel is Lekker hashtag. And if you’re interested in participating, get in touch with me!
All images: Savannah