If you’re a South African, I’m sure you’re familiar with the Local is Lekker phrase. It celebrates and promotes everything South African. This phrase was the inspiration for a new series on my blog – Local Travel is Lekker. I’m an avid supporter of local South African travel and feel extremely blessed to live in this beautiful country. Therefore I’ve decided to feature like-minded bloggers and travellers who share my Local Travel is Lekker sentiment and hopefully this series will inspire our South African citizens to get out there and explore this exquisite country.
This week’s featured blogger is Verushka from Spice Goddess.
1) What do you love most about South Africa?
I love that South Africa is such a diverse and multicultural country. A rainbow nation with beautiful landscape including mountains and the ocean. South African food and wine is also on another level with regional specialities and showcases the cultural diversity of my home.
2) What is your first local travel memory?
A road trip with my parents through the Garden Route for a month. It was a month of hotel living filled with adventure and new experiences. Someday I will do this trip again and maybe with my own kids.
3) What’s your favourite place to visit in your hometown?
I love going on a road trip with my girls to the Kloof area. The area is 20 minutes from the Durban city centre but one can literally smell the fresh air and it does not have the buzz of the city. A wide variety of eateries and little quaint shops means we are never bored of options of where to eat.
4) What’s on your South African travel bucket list?
There are so many places I want to visit and explore and these include:
* Kruger National Park
* Midlands Meander
* Garden Route
* Port Elizabeth
* St Lucia
5) What are your top tips for planning a local getaway?
1. Look for deals on Daddy’s Deals
2. Booking.com is great site for last minute deals.
3. Accommodation Direct has good deals on staycations in your city.
4. Research the area you are going too and find out all the things you can do.
5. Always have a snack bag with bottled water.
6. A first aid kit.
7. A mobile phone charger.
8. A great playlist for the best Car Karaoke.
6) Where can we follow your blog?
How Do I Jump on the Local Travel is Lekker taxi?
That concludes this week’s Local Travel is Lekker blogger feature. Be sure to stop by every week to be inspired by another local traveller and awaken your own wanderlust for local South African travel. Join the conversation on social media with the Local Travel is Lekker hashtag. And if you’re interested in participating, get in touch with me!
All images: Verushka